Daali Varan Recipe – A Quick and Easy Konkani Style Dal Recipe that is full of flavor and gets ready within minutes. Perfect for busy weekdays.
- Tur Dal (Yellow Split Pigeon Peas) – 1/2 cup
- Haldi (Turmeric) Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Jeera (Cumin) Seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- Ground Black Pepper – 3/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1.25 teaspoon
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Pressure cook 1/2 cup (raw) tur dal with 1.5 cup water for 3 – 4 whistles, depending on how chunky you like your dal. I personally do not like the soft dal chunks in my boiled dal, so I go with 4 whistles, but if you prefer a chunkier dal, go with 3 whistles.
- Then transfer the boiled dal in a cooking pot, add 1 cup water, 1.25 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon haldi/turmeric powder, 3/4 teaspoon black pepper powder and mix well, and bring it to a boil. This should take 5 – 10 mins on medium flame.
- Meanwhile, in a tadka pan/small pan, heat up 1 tablespoon ghee, and add in 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds start crackling, pour the ghee and the roasted cumin seeds in the cooked dal.
- Serve hot with steamed rice. Even better if paired with papad and pickle.
- People have different preferences when it comes to the consistency of dal. Some prefer a very thin consistency, others like a more thick and chunky consistency. This recipe shares the measurements for a relatively thinner consistency of dal, but you can always adjust water according to your preference.
- Though keep in mind that dal will naturally soak up the water and thicken up a little.
- Adjust salt and pepper to suit your tastebuds.
- You can also use oil instead of ghee. Ghee is just a personal preference, because it tastes better (to us).