Homemade Garlic Bread recipe from scratch, made in home oven.
- 1 mid size Italian loaf (or French baguette)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 7 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1.5–2 cups shredded mozarella cheese
- 1–1.5 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4–1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Slice the loaf from the rounded side, so that it opens up like a book, but ensure to not cut it all the way through. Set aside.
- In a mixie, blend together 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 7 cloves of garlic & 3 tbsp chopped parsley leaves, till it forms a semi smooth paste – some texture is okay. Set aside.
- Now open up the loaf, and spread the garlic oil (liberally) – on the inside.
- Close the loaf, cover it completely in foil & put it in the oven at 400 F for 10 mins. This step is important to ensure the garlic oil seeps through the warm bread.
- Once the time is up, take the bread out of the oven, open it up, then first sprinkle the mozzarella cheese, followed by the parmesan cheese. Finally sprinkle a little black pepper – though this is optional.
- Put the bread back in the oven, this time with the loaf spread wide open for 10 more minutes at 400 F or until the mozzarella cheese has melted and the parmesan has developed a beautiful golden/light red color.
- Once it’s done, take it out of the oven, set it aside to cool for a few minutes, and then serve warm.
If you aren’t able to slice the loaf without cutting all the way through, it’s okay to cut it into 2 halves and then continue with the same method, as outlined in the recipe. It’s just easier to open & close the loaf when it is not cut all the way through.
You can always make a double batch of garlic oil spread, and refrigerate the leftover garlic oil spread to use later.
Even if (like me) you are very fond of garlic, do not add more garlic cloves to this recipe for garlic oil. The taste of garlic will overpower everything else, and ruin the taste of garlic bread.
You can use cilantro leaves instead of parsley leaves. Just ensure to use fresh leaves and not dehydrated cilantro or parsley flakes.