- Shrimp (Raw/De-veined/Tail Off) – 1.5 pounds
- Salt (for marination) – 2.5 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder (for marination) – 3/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Onions (chopped) – 4 cups
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1.5 tablespoons
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Tamarind extract – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Clean the shrimp well, and marinate it with 2.5 teaspoons salt & 3/4 teaspoon haldi/turmeric powder, for about an hour.
- Then in a pan, heat up 1/4 cup oil, add in 4 cups of finely chopped onions & 1/2 teaspoon salt, and saute till the onions turn golden brown. This step is crucial and will take time.
- Once the onions have turned golden brown, add in 1.5 tablespoons kashmiri chilli powder, 1 teaspoon red chili powder & saute for a minute or so till the masalas get a light cook. Add a splash of water if required to avoid the masalas from burning.
- Now, add 1 tablespoon tamarind extract and mix well.
- Next add the shrimp and 1 cup of water. Mix well, and cook covered for 10-15 minutes on medium flame, and then 10-15 minutes without the lid on, so that the water reduces a little bit.
- Serve hot with roti, naan or rice.
- This recipe makes a semi-dry curry, but you can always adjust the quantity of water to suit your preferences. Just remember to adjust salt & spice level accordingly.
- Regular chili powder adds to the spice level of the dish, and kashmiri chili powder to the color. You can adjust the quantity of these two spices to suit your preferences. Just remember to adjust the quantity of tamarind extract too, as it is always used relative to the spice level.