Besan Chilla Recipe - Indian Tomato Omelette
recipe for making besan chilla or Indian tomato omelette with step by step photos and instructions
Servings 14 small chillas
- 2 cup besan / gram flour
- 1.25 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp haldi / turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2-4 green chillies
- 2 cup water or as required
- 2-4 tbsp oil or as required
For Making Besan Chilla Batter
In a bowl, mix together besan flour, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, cumin powder & haldi / turmeric powder.
To this mixture, add water and mix/whisk well till you get a smooth batter without any knots. You can also choose to use a strainer to remove knots in the batter.
Next add the chopped onions, tomatoes, green chillies & coriander leaves, and mix well.
For Making Besan Chilla
Heat a pan and grease it with a little oil.
Add a ladle of batter on the pan, and spread the batter to make a round chilla.
Next drizzle some oil on the sides of the chilla, and cover & cook till the edges of the chilla start leaving the pan.
Then flip the chilla, drizzle some oil on the sides, and cook the other side of the chilla.
You can press down the chilla to speed up the cooking process and also ensure it is cooked well.
Once the chilla is cooked well on both sides, transfer it from the pan to a plate, and serve hot with chutney / sauce and tea / coffee.
- You can pour a big ladle of batter on the pan to make a big chilla, or pour several small ladles of batter at the same to make smaller ones.
- You can also make the chillas thin and crispy or a little fluffy and chewy, based on your preference.
- You can add any other veggies and herbs that you prefer. I often add chopped capsicum, when I have it on hand. You can also add shredded carrot/cabbage, or even chopped palak leaves instead of coriander leaves.
- And you can mix these veggies in the batter, like I have done in the recipe above, or mix all the chopped veggies together in a separate bowl, and then spread a plain besan chilla on the pan, and sprinkle these veggies on top of the chilla on the pan.
Please note: The nutrition values are best estimates provided as a courtesy. The exact values can vary depending on the exact ingredients or brands used. If you rely on them for your specific diet and/or health issues, please consult a registered dietician or nutritionist.
Calories: 1265kcal | Carbohydrates: 159g | Protein: 57g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Sodium: 3608mg | Potassium: 2428mg | Fiber: 34g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 1579IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 184mg | Iron: 14mg