An easy homemade white chocolate pound cake recipe from scratch, shared with step by step photos, and a video, so you can get it right the first time, and every single time! Drizzle on some chocolate syrup, sprinkle on some powdered sugar, or serve as is, fresh from the oven, and enjoy!
Do you have a go-to cake to bake? A cake that you love so much that you have made it over and over again, till you’ve reached the point where you can probably pull it off half asleep? This white chocolate pound cake is that cake for me.
Now of-course it’s a family favorite too, because I have successfully transferred my white chocolate obsession to them as well. 😛 But really, this cake is truly delicious, so it’s hard not to love it, even if you are not particularly fond of white chocolate.
But if you do love white chocolate, you’ll adore this cake! Because it has this perfect soft & fluffy texture, infused with the subtle yet delectable flavor of white chocolate, that you’ll fall in love with! And will want to make/eat over and over again!
Of-course if white chocolate is not your thing, you can replace it with your preferred kind of chocolate, because it’s a very forgiving recipe. But if you do love white chocolate as much as I do, try it as is, and thank me later! 🙂
Ingredients You Need
Room temperature ingredients – Use room temperature ingredients for making this cake, especially room temperature butter & eggs, because at room temperature, these ingredients form an emulsion that traps air, and while baking in the oven, they release this air to make the baked good light and fluffy.
And even avoid using yogurt straight from the fridge, at-least keep it out for 15-20 minutes before use.
White chocolate bar vs chocolate chips – I prefer using grated white chocolate in this cake, so I grate a bar of chocolate. But you can use white chocolate chips too. It’s just a personal preference for me, as I love the flavor of white chocolate infused all through the cake vs having chocolate chips in the pound cake. I however do love to use chocolate chips in my banana muffins.
And like I mentioned above, you can substitute white chocolate for milk chocolate or something else you prefer, as is it is a very forgiving recipe.
How to Make White Chocolate Pound Cake
- This is not absolutely mandatory, but it’s best to start with mixing the wet and dry ingredients separately in 2 different bowls.
- Which means mixing flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with each other in one bowl, and eggs, vanilla extract & yogurt in another bowl.
- This will help easily blend these things while making the cake batter, without over mixing the batter, which can lead to harder, denser cake.
- Then in a blending bowl, blend together the butter & sugar, using a hand blender.
- You can always start with blending the butter and sugar, and adding in the ingredients one by one, without pre mixing them, like I shared above. Pre-mixing just ensures you’ll not need to overmix the ingredients to make a smooth batter.
- Once the butter & sugar are blended together, add the wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla extract, yogurt), and blend them in.
- Then add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt), and blend them all together. It’s best to incorporate the flour mix a little at a time, to ensure it doesn’t spray all over.
- Then finally, add in the grated chocolate & a little milk to make a smoother batter. Blend everything together till you get a smooth batter.
- Also don’t forget to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure everything is well mixed.
- Here if you are planning to use chocolate chips instead of grated chocolate, just ensure to lightly coat the chips with flour before adding them in, so as to ensure the chips do not sink to the bottom, and are spread throughout the pound cake. Also, you can just use a spatula to mix in the chocolate chips.
- Then get a bake / loaf pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and spray the sides with a non-stick cooking spray / butter spray.
- And pour the cake batter into the loaf pan, ensuring to level out the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes @ 350 F (180 C).
- Depending on the temperature of the oven, the bake time might vary a little. So it’s best to start monitoring at the 45 minute mark. Check if the cake is done by inserting a clean toothpick at the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready!
- If not, put the cake back in the oven for a few more minutes till done. Just ensure to not over bake it, as it will dry out the cake.
When the cake is ready, get it out of the oven, and let it rest on the counter at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before you slice it.
Serve as is, or sprinkle on some powdered sugar, and serve with your choice of fruit jam / chocolate syrup or even cream cheese frosting.
Storing Pound Cake
It’s best to eat this cake right out of the oven, while it’s still fresh and warm, but you can store this cake for 2-3 days at room temperature, so long as you wrap it well with plastic cling wrap & store in an air-tight container.
But honestly, I’ve never stored it for that long, because it’s never lasted more than 24 hours at my place. And 24 hours is overstating it. Usually it’s devoured within the first hour.
Find more recipes for sweet treats:
⭐Banana Muffins with White Chocolate Chips
⭐Khasta Nankhatai (Indian Sugar Cookie)
⭐Mysore Pak Recipe with Tips & Time Stamps
⭐Motichoor Cream Cheese Cups (Fusion Dessert)
As always, I hope you found this recipe useful. If you did, please let me know your rating ⭐️ and feedback 📲 in the comments below, or simply rate the recipe right on the recipe card. I’d really appreciate it. ❤️
White Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
- Hand Blender/Mixer
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar granulated
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup grated white chocolate
- ⅛ cup whole milk
- non stick cooking spray / butter spray as required
Make Pound Cake Batter
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand blender – mix together the unsalted butter and granulated sugar until they are blended well together. However do not over mix.
- In the same bowl, add in the wet ingredients (eggs, yogurt, vanilla extract), and blend them together. (see note #2)
- Once the wet ingredients are blended in, add the dry ingredients (all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt), and blend everything together.
- Finally add the grated white chocolate & milk, and mix everything together. The cake batter is ready. (see note #3)
Bake Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C.
- Get a bake / loaf pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and spray the sides with a non-stick cooking spray / butter spray.
- Pour the cake batter into the loaf pan, ensuring to level out the top with a spatula.
- Put the loaf pan in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes @ 350 F /180 C.
- Depending on the temperature of the oven, the bake time might vary a little. So it’s best to start monitoring at the 45 minute mark. Check if the cake is done by inserting a clean toothpick at the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready! If not, put the cake back in the oven for a few more minutes.
Cut & Serve
- When the cake is ready, get it out of the oven, and let it rest on the counter at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before you slice it.
- Serve as is, or sprinkle on some powdered sugar, and serve with your choice of fruit jam / chocolate syrup or even cream cheese frosting.
- It’s important that the butter and eggs are at room temperature, and ideal if yogurt is too. As at room temperature, these ingredients (especially butter & eggs) form an emulsion that traps air, and while baking in the oven, they release this air to make the baked good light and fluffy.
- It’s ideal (but not critical) to pre-mix the wet ingredients (eggs, yogurt, vanilla extract) in one bowl & dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt) in another bowl, before adding them to the main blending bowl (see pics shared in the post above). As it will ensure you can blend them easily without over mixing the cake batter, which can lead to harder & denser cake.
- You can use white chocolate chips as an alternative to grating the white chocolate bar, and using that. I personally don’t like the chunks running through the pound cake, and prefer the flavor of white chocolate infused all through the cake. So I use the grated white chocolate. But you can use either. However if you do want to use the chocolate chips, then lightly coat them with flour before adding them to the cake batter, so that they do not sink to the bottom of the loaf pan while baking.
This recipe was first published in Dec 2018, and has been republished with updated instructions, notes & tips, step images as well as video in Dec 2020.
If you’d like FREE recipes and meal prep ideas delivered directly to your email inbox every Friday in one short email, then subscribe to the Foodie Friday list HERE, and never run out of ideas on what to cook over the weekend or prep for the week ahead. 🙂
do not have yogurt, what can I substitute with?
The Love of Spice
sour cream will work as a good substitute. 😊
Can this be frozen?
I am looking forward to making this pound cake!
Thank you for sharing it with us!
The Love of Spice
Hi Melinda, I have never tried freezing it, though I have refrigerated it, for which I tightly wrap it in food grade plastic wrap, and then store it in an air tight container. It lasts quite a few days like that. Hope this helps.
ran out of yogurt can I substitutefor something else?
The Love of Spice
You can substitute with sour cream in the same proportion.